It is the first square after going through the Town Gate, dating back to the 16th century.
What to see: Town Gate, Town Clock Tower, Venetian Arsenal, Old Town Hall, The Prince’s Palace, Bizanti Palace, Beskuca Palace
Town Gate: It was built in 1555. The locals call it Porta Marina (Sea Gate). It is made of massive stone blocks. Within hundreds of years the gate has sunk 70 cm. When you enter through the gate, on the right there’s a Gothic relief from the 15th century which is the Mother of God with Christ sitting on the throne. On the left of this relief there is St Tryphon and on the right there is St Bernard.
Town Clock Tower: It is one of the symbols of Kotor located on Square of Arms which is the very first monument seen after entering through the Town Gate. It was started to be built in 1602. Because of the earthquakes it leans towards west. Before the French occupation which was between 1807 and 1814, it had one clock face. The French built another one facing south. The original pyramid was broken in 1945 and it was rebuilt.
Venetian Arsenal: The Square actually got its name after the Venetian Arsenal. It was a weapon storage for the Venetians. Within the Arsenal there are two more buildings which were used as military purposes; the Prince’s Palace and the Town Guard Tower.
Old Town Hall: It was built in 1762 for military purposes as a food storage and used as one until the 20th century. After the French occupation it was turned into a theatre therefore it is also known as French Theatre or Napoleon’s Theatre. Unfortunately the 1979 earthquake damaged it and the façade looking towards to the square destroyed.
The Prince’s Palace: Until 1667 earthquake the first Palace of the Prince was located on St Tryphon’s Square. It was destroyed by the earthquake and it caused the death of the Venetian provost Alvise Foscarini and his family. After that the official seat of the provost was moved to the Prince’s Palace on the Square of Arms. This one was built in 1763. It was used as a prison and for military purposes.
Bizanti Palace: It dates back to the 14th century but unfortunately because of the earthquake in 1667 it was renewed. The northern wing of the palace was added by Nikola Bizanti. The two wings of the palace and the other buildings on the south are connected by and interior courtyard which gives the palace Renaissance expression. The windows, stairway, portals and the crown of the well are in Baroque style. The palace was renewed again after the earthquake in 1979.
Beskuca Palace: It was built in the 18th century, probably on the area where the Bizanti family house was standing. The most important item of this house is the Gothic portal which was from a Bizanti house. The portal was damaged in 1945.