Museum Square which is one of the main squares in Kotor Old Town or as the locals call it, in Kotor Stari Grad, used to be called the Square of the Town Administration as the Gregorina Palace used to be the Town Administration building but when it was changed to a museum, the square has started to be called the Museum Square.
What to see: Gregorina Palace, Maritime Museum, Karampana, Bokelian Navy Head Office
Gregorina Palace and Kotor Maritime Museum of Montenegro-Kotor: The Baroque palace of the noble family Gregorina, was built in the 18th century and is used as the Maritime Museum of Montenegro Kotor. It was built of the stones from Korcula island in Dalmatia. In 1813, the building was used as the town administration and the Austrian military command, after it was given to them by Bishop Marco Antonio. It was used as the District Government between the two world wars and then in 1938 as the first museum of the Bokelian Navy. Today it’s become the Maritime Museum of Montenegro Kotor.
The Maritime Museum has very interesting collections not to be missed. Especially between the 14th and the 16th centuries Kotor port was the beaten path for the rich captains and seamen. In the museum you can find collections of these families and fleets.
There are also two keys displayed in the museum which are the keys of Kotor.
Karampana: As the locals call it, Karampana, is located on the street that links Square of Museum Kotor and St Lucas’s Square. It is a public well faucet which dates back to the beginning of the 18th century. Until 1917 it was used by the locals to get water and to get together for a chit-chat.