What to see in Budva

List of places to see in Budva
SHARE THIS PAGE
what to see in Budva

Within Budva Old Town and around Budva there are lots of attractions to see apart from the beaches. 


The Citadelz

It is located within the Budva Old Town. It was built in the 9th century to protect the attacks to Budva from the sea. After the reconstructions the ruins of the Church of St Maria from the 12th century and a 6th century Christian basilica were uncovered. It used to be a theatre belonging to the state but now a private museum and a restaurant.  


Dancer from Budva Statue

Gymnast from Budva Statue is very famous in Budva and sometimes refered as the Ballerina from Budva. However although looks like a ballerina, she is not wearing a tutu.

According to the legend, this is a statue of a famous gymnast who fell of the rocks but the name is unknown. Another legend says that this is a statue of a girl who could escape from a shark attack but her lover couldn’t. In the memory of them the statue was built here. 

Another legend says that there used to live in Budva, a dancer and a sailor who were in love. One day he sailed as always but this time didn’t come back. After that his lover dancer waited for him every day where the statue is and after she died her statue was built as a memory. 


Budva City Walls

The 450 metre long city walls surround the Budva Old Town. The first built walls date back to the 9th century. They were built to protect the city from the attacks coming from the sea. The 16th century walls were surrounding the town with six towers which was damaged with 1667 earthquake. They were reconstructed but damaged by the 1979 earthquake. 


Tunnel Between Budva and Becici

If you’d like to walk to Becici from Budva, the tunnel is the best way to walk through. There is graffiti and paintings on the walls of the tunnel which makes the walk more interesting. Maybe it’s not a must see attraction in Budva but once in Budva, if you’d like to walk to Becici, the tunnel might be an interesting option.


Podmaine Monastery

It was built by the noble family Crnojevic in the 15th century as a Serbian Orthodox monastery. It is also called Podostrog. Ostrog is the name of the mountain close to the monastery. Maine comes from the name of the tribe Maini which settled here years ago. 

 Montenegrin metropolitans used the monastery as their summer residence. The Metropolitan Bishop Daniel died here on 4th January in 1735 and buried in the Church of Assumption. Then in 1747 a new larger church of the Assumption of the Virgin was built by the Metropolitan Sawa Petrovic Njegos. The ashes of Metropolitan Daniel were moved to the new church. 

The monastery is important for Montenegrins as a famous Montenegrin poet and Metropolitan Petar II Petrovic Njegos wrote his poem about the independence of Montenegro, Slobodiada and his famous poem The Mountain Wreath while staying here. 

 In 1837, Peter II Petrovich had to sell the monastery to the Austrians who used it as a military fort and a prison. In 1864 the monastery was destroyed by fire. In 1869 the Austrians burned it down. In 1979 it was damaged by the earthquake, restored after and opened in 1995. 

 Podmaine Monastery is 2.5 km from the old town Budva. It is possible to walk to get to the monastery or drive.


Saint Ivan Church

Although not proven, it is known to be built in the 7th century therefore the oldest church in this region. Till 1828 it had served as a Cathedral. It was unfortunately damaged by the 1667 earthquake and reconstructed. It is located in the Budva Old Town. It’s an example of a Gothic architecture. 


Church of the Holy Trinity

It is located in the Budva Old Town in the largest square of the old town, Trg Starogradski. It was built in 1804. The Byzantine style reflects itself on the red and white stones of the building. The mosaic of the Old Orthodox Holy Trinity is placed over its door. 


Old Olive Tree

The old olive tree is located near Budva within Becici, in Ivanovici Village above the hotel Splendid. It is one of the six oldest olive trees in the world. It is almost as old as Jesus. It belongs to a family called Ivanovic. The tree has been protected as a Natural Monument since 1994. It still provides fruit that makes 40 litres of olive oil. There’s an 18th century olive oil mill near the tree which is currently a museum. 


Rustovo Monastery

Rustovo Monastery is one of the most fascinating monasteries in Montenegro, located near Sveti Stefan, just a few kilometres away from Budva, in the Pastrovici Woods. It was built in the 14th century. The graves of the monks in the yard shows that during the middle ages there were several monks living in this monastery.


Santa Maria in Punta Church

Santa Maria in Punta Church is located in Budva Old Town which is one of the oldest pre-Romanic churches in this area. It was known to be founded in 840 by the Benedictines, then taken over by the Franciscans. Currently the church is used for classical music concerts and art exhibitions. 


Kosmac Fortress

On the way to Budva, between Budva and Cetinje, there stands the 19th century Kosmac Fortress on a hill. It was built as the southernmost fortress of Austro-Hungarian Empire. The view of Budva and the Adriatic Sea is fascinating but be aware that it’s an unmaintained fortress with a danger of stones falling off the building. 


Krapina Village

Krapina Village is 6 kms / 4 miles from Budva, a hidden heaven to escape from the crowds. There’s a typical village restaurant which serves meat, pasta and fish from the pond. There are donkeys and rabbits which can be interesting to spend time with for the kids. There’s a zipline over a canyon if you’re brave enough to try. A natural pool with cold water from the waterfall. You can spend a few peaceful hours in the village if you have seen most of Budva and around.


Stanjevici Monastery

Stanjevici Monastery is located on the way to Cetinje from Budva, on the southern slopes of Mount Lovcen. It is above the Pobori Village. It is easily accessible by car. It’s 17 km / 10 miles from Budva. It was founded by Duke Nikola Stanjevic in the 14th century. It was rebuilt by archbishop Danilo in 1725 after being exposed to many attacks by the Turks and the Venetians.

From 1714 to 1839 Stanjevici Monastery was the second residence of the Montenegrin bishops. It was sold to Austrians by Njegos in 1839 which was used as military purposes. It was destroyed by 1979 earthquake and reconstructed in 1994.

Related Content